As a local business, you may think you are unlikely to be targeted by cyber-criminals, however, it is estimated that 81% of all cyber-attacks are on small and medium-sized businesses! In fact, a 2017 report by the Ponemon Institute indicates that 61% of small to medium-sized businesses (SMBs) experienced some sort of cyber-attack (successful or unsuccessful). These attacks often include phishing, account takeover, or data breach attempts. Why are SMBs attacked even more than enterprise-level companies?
Small to medium-sized businesses...
- Might not have thorough cybersecurity measures in place
- Might not realize the value of the data that they store
- Are usually slower to spot an attack
- Often are not able to pour resources into forensic cyber analysis and pursue prosecution after the attack, so the criminals don’t have to fear recourse
- Could be a gateway to a larger attack
While only the large scale attacks will get news coverage, it is your business that needs to be aware of these dangers. It is imperative that even small organizations have a comprehensive cyber-security plan. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money, but it should be well thought out. An important first step is to schedule a network assessment today! Please email BrandonG@scsiusa.com or call 888-235-6860 (ext. 105) for more information.